For a quick intro, please watch this video:
Famly is continuously improving our Child Development features. You'll find what is currently available below, including observations, assessments, learning journeys and progress reports. Certain features may not be available to your nursery depending on your package.
What we'll cover:
- Child Development permissions
- Make an assessment
- Make a single or group observation
- Add a 2-year check
- The learning Journey
- Bring a child up to speed
- The child development app overview
- 2 Year check report
- Next steps
- The progress report
- Compare cohorts
- Print and export
- Parent observations
- Join a webinar!
Before you start, you must give the different staff roles Child Development related permissions.
Head in to your Setup then in to Staff and Manage Roles. Scroll down to the Child Development permissions section.
If you would like staff to be able to create observations/assessments but require them to be sent for review before they are posted, check the first box Manage observations (normally room staff) only. This first box must be checked in order to use any of the Child Development features.
If you would like staff to also be able to review and send the observations check the second box Review and send observations (normally managers). This also allows them to post directly, without review.
The third permission, Manage activity library allows a staff member to create activities in the Activity library. In order to use the Child Development features, staff will also need the basic permission Access to basic child and employee info, which is found higher up in the list of permissions.
Make a (baseline) assessment
Alternatively you can start by creating a baseline assessment from the Learning Journey in the Child's Profile.
This allows you to record Attainment-based tracking, based on whether a child is marked as Emerging, Developing or Secured in an age band. An assessment is a general snapshot of a child's current learning development. The first record of an age band refinement will be saved as the child's baseline. This record can then be used as a comparison in the future.
- Select Assessment
- Enter your assessment in the text field. Drafts are saved automatically should you be called away.
- You can add a photo or document by clicking Upload
- Now, go through the areas and select the correct age band and refinement (emerging, developing or secure). Any previously recorded assessment and observation information can be seen by clicking on the eye icon. The % progress in an age band will also appear in the drop down box, these can be used for informational guidance.
- Click send for review if this assessment needs to be reviewed by a colleague in the Child Development app, or post directly if you'd like it to be appear on the child's journey and sent to the parents immediately.
Assessments are used to compare progress across time. You would therefore record a baseline assessment when the child first begins at nursery, and termly assessments at the end of each period. This would allow you to compare the termly assessments to the baseline as well as each other. Regular observations (without age band refinements) are not considered in progress comparisons.
Please note: When clicking Assessment, you will be asked to select an age band and refinement (emerging, developing, secure). You will not have the option to select specific statements, e.g. Listens to stories with increasing attention and recall, this can be recorded when doing observations (more on that next).
Make an Observation (single or group)
Observations are created in a similar way to assessments, however they are created on a more frequent basis. They can be created from a child's Learning journey or the newsfeed.
- Go to your news feed (or learning journey)
- In the top box, next to Post you will see Observation, click on this tab
- Staff can only make observations as themselves, not as the nursery
- Search for the child or children you are observing. If you create a group observation please note that any future edits made to the observation will be reflected in the observation for all of the children. You are not able to remove a child from the observation after it has been sent for review without deleting the observation completely.
- You have the option to upload a photo or document
- Next select either the EYFS or CoEL buttons which will take you into each Area, Sub-area and specific statements
- When creating an observation you have the option to select both age band refinements (as you would in Assessments) as well as specific sub-area statements. We recommend selecting statements only in observations and leaving the age band refinements to be selected in assessments.
- Once you have selected the statements, click either post directly or send for review. The observations will now appear on the staff member and child's newsfeed, in the child's Learning Journey in their profile, as well as in the Child Development App
- Observations can be edited/deleted from the Newsfeed of the staff member that initially created the observation and from the Child's Learning Journey
- Observations can also be edited/deleted in the Child Development App under Overview.
Add a 2 Year check
In Famly you have the option to add a two year check for a child. These can only be done once per child. You add them from the same drop down menu where you create an observation or assessment from in the child's learning journey. They are structurally similar to Assessments. Once this has been created it will appear as a fixed box in the child's learning journey and can also be found in the Overview of Child Development app.
The Learning Journey
All Assessments and Observations made for a child will appear in their Learning Journey in chronological order.
In addition to this, we've added a summary that summarises progress in each area. By clicking Details, you can see the detailed breakdown of each sub-area either by Statement-based tracking (statement links) or Refinement-based tracking (age band refinements). The detailed summary page has now been optimised for better printing using File Print, command + p or control + p.
Bring a child up to speed
The Up to Speed feature, allows you to mark all Statements as secured without having to check off each statement one by one.
You can do this through the Details in the child's learning journey or through the Progress Report in the Child Development app. Simply select the Sub-area and Age you'd like the child to have completed all statements in, and then click Bring up to speed.
The child will then have completed all (100%) of the statements up to and including this age band. If you record an up to speed incorrectly you can remove it by going into the Child Development App, landing on the overview page. From the type drop down menu select Up to Speed. Finally, click the three dots on the up-to-speed you would like to delete and select delete.
Child Development App
- You can access the Child Development App in the Apps section of your nursery account. You will automatically land on the Overview page
- Depending on your role, you will see either a list of your observations, assessments and 2-year checks that are up for review, or a list of observations , assessments and 2-year checks that are waiting for review. As a manager you can review observations, request changes and send them to parents.
- When viewing all observations you can filter by type, record date range, observation status, key author and key person.
- To review an observation click on it. When reviewing an observation you can edit the observation yourself, add statements or add a comment for improvements and 'Request changes' from the original author. When you are happy with it to be sent to the parents and added to the journey, click 'Approve and Send'.
- When reviewing an observation you can also change the author (take ownership). You may want to do this if an observation is started by a staff member but should be completed by a key worker.
2 Year Check report
You can find a report of 2 Year checks in the Child Development overview. You can filter this report by Age, whether they have had a 2 year check, by specific child, key person or room.
You can also view next steps from the Child Development App. Here you can find a list of the different Next Steps entered on Assessments and Observations. You can filter the next steps by child, key person, room and made after date and use these for activity planning.
The default view of the progress report is by Statement-based tracking, this is a summary of each child's development based on the statements checked off in observations.
- Chose your as of date which will show all observations posted up to the specified date.
- When in this view you can click into each subarea box to see Journey Details. Here you will be able to see the subarea title, the statements that have been checked, the age band they were checked in and the date they were checked.
- The Age Band that is shown is the youngest incomplete Age Band, or youngest complete (100%) if they have not started on another older age band.
- Areas that the children are 2 or more age bands ahead of expected progress will be shaded in blue, those that are 2 or more age bands behind will be shaded in red.
- Alternatively you can view progress in regards to Refinement-based tracking - this takes Age band refinement records (normally done in assessments) into account only and reports on the Emerging (grey), Developing (light green) and Secured (dark green) areas of development.
- You can view statement-based tracking as of a certain date, compare between certain dates, or progress since the initial baseline. This is considered to be the first assessment or observation recorded in which you chose emerging, developing or secure for any age band. Points are given in accordance with the level of progress made.
- You can filter both reports by Gender, Cohorts (Tags) or Key Person
- The progress report page has been optimised for better printing using File Print, Command + p or Control + p
You can compare cohorts in famly.
- Simply decide whether you want to compare cohorts based on statement-based tracking (statements checked off in observations) or refinement-based tracking (emerging, developing & secure normally chosen in assessments).
- Next decide the "progress of" or "compare to date".
- On the right you can add cohorts to compare and see the proportion of children that are behind, on track, ahead or are in need of observations.
- In the top left of the graph you can choose to see those that are behind, on track or ahead. In the top right of the graph you can select if you want to see all areas of learning or only the primary areas.
- For statement-based tracking, the graph will show the percentage of children relative to the options you've chose.
- For refinement-based tracking the graph will show average progress points by cohort (movement between emerging, developing and secure).
- If you click on a certain bar on the graph you are taken to the progress report filtered for the selected cohorts.
Printing and Exporting
We've optimised the printing of a child's Learning Journey so that it can be shared easily. We've added a date range, as journey's that are too long cannot be saved or printed in one go. Chose your settings and hit print. If you would like to send the Learning Journey virtually you can save it as a PDF.
Parents and Observations
It is possible for parents to add observations to the Learning Journey. These will need to be reviewed by management before they are posted. Nursery staff will see the observation in the Child Development app and can add EYFS statements, request changes, take ownership. See the article for parents here.
- Managers will not receive notifications when observations/assessments are sent review. This is because we do not want to overload managers with observations, nor cause more important notifications to get lost in the list.
- Employees will receive notifications when their have been changes requested for their observations.
We regularly host webinars on the Child Development feature. Find the dates and sign up here:
*** If you have a member of staff leave your nursery, we advise that they send all draft observations/assessments for review before their last day, so another member of staff can take ownership and these are not lost. Drafts are user-specific so cannot be accessed by other users.