Famly is continuously improving our Child Development features. You'll find what is currently available below, including observations, assessments, learning journeys and progress reports. Certain features may not be available to your nursery depending on your package.
What we'll cover:
- Child Development permissions
- Bring a child up to speed
- Make an assessment
- Make a single or group observation
- Add a 2-year check
- The learning Journey
- The child development app overview
- Next steps
- The progress report
- Compare cohorts
- Print and export
- Parent observations
Before you start, you must give the different staff roles Child Development related permissions.
Head in to your Setup then in to Staff and Manage Roles. Scroll down to the Child Development permissions section.
If you would like staff to be able to create observations/assessment but require them to be sent for review before they are posted, check the first box Manage observations (normally room staff) only. This first box must be checked in order to use any of the Child Development features.
If you would like staff to also be able to review and send the observations check the second box Review and send observations (normally managers).
The third permission, Manage activity library allows a staff member to create activities in the Activity library. In order to use the Child Development features, staff will also need the basic permission Access to basic child and employee info, which is found higher up in the list of permissions.
Bring a child up to speed
The Up to Speed feature, allows you to mark all Statements as secured without having to check off each statement one by one.
You can do this through the Details in the child's learning journey or through the Progress Report in the Child Development app. Simply select the Sub-area and Age you'd like the child to have completed all progress up to, and then click Bring up to speed.
The child will then have completed 100% of the statements up to and including this age band. If you record an up to speed incorrectly you can remove it by going into the Child Development App, landing on the overview page. From the type drop down menu select Up to Speed.
Make a (baseline) assessment
Alternatively you can start by creating a baseline assessment from the Learning Journey in the Child's Profile.
This allows you to record Attainment-based tracking, based on whether a child is marked as Emerging, Developing or Secured in an age band. An assessment is a general snapshot of a child's current learning development. The first record of an age band refinement will be saved as the child's baseline. This record can then be used as a comparison in the future.
- Select Assessment
- Enter your assessment in the text field. Drafts are saved automatically should you be called away.
- You can add a photo or document by clicking Upload
- Now, go through the areas and select the correct age band and refinement (emerging, developing or secure). Any previously recorded assessment and observation information can be seen by clicking on the eye icon. The % progress in an age band will also appear in the drop down box, these can be used for informational guidance.
- Click send for review if this assessment needs to be reviewed by a colleague in the Child Development app, or post directly if you'd like it to be appear on the child's journey and sent to the parents immediately.
Assessments are used to compare progress across time, you would thus record a baseline assessment when the child first begins at nursery, and termly assessments at the end of a period. You would then be able to compare the termly assessments to the baseline as well as each other. Regular observations (without age band refinements) are not considered in progress comparisons.
Please note: When you click Assessment, you will be asked to select an age band and refinement (emerging, developing, secure). You will not have the option to select specific statements, e.g. Listens to stories with increasing attention and recall, this can be recorded when doing observations (more on that next).
Make an Observation (single or group)
Observations are created in very much the same way as you would create an assessment, however they would be created on a daily or weekly basis. They can be created from a child's Learning journey or the newsfeed.
- Go to your news feed (or learning journey)
- In the top box, next to Post you will see Observation, click into this tab
- Staff can only make observations as themselves, not as the nursery
- Search for the child or children you are observing. If you create a group observation please not that any future edits made to the observation will be reflected in the observation for all of the children. You are not able to remove a child from the observation after it has been posted without deleting it completely.
- You have the option to upload a photo or document
- Next select either the EYO or CoEL buttons which will take you into each Area, Sub-area and specific links
- When creating an observation you have the option to select both age band refinements (as you would in Assessments) as well as specific sub-area links. We recommend selecting links only in observations and leaving the age band refinements to be selected in assessments.
- Once you have selected the links, click either post directly or send for review. The observations will now appear on the staff member and child's newsfeed, in the child's Learning Journey in their profile, as well as in the Child Development App
- Observations can be edited/deleted from the Newsfeed of the staff member that initially created the observation and from the Child's Learning Journey
Add a 2 Year check
In Famly you have the option to add a two year check for a child. These can only be done once for each child. You add them from the same drop down menu where you create an observation or assessment from the child's learning journey. They are structurally similar to Assessments. Once this has been created it will appear as a fixed box in the child's learning journey and can also be found in the Overview in the Child Development app.
The Learning Journey
All Assessments and Observations made for a child will appear in their Learning Journey in chronological order.
In addition to this, we've added a summary that summarises progress in each area. By clicking Details, you can see the detailed breakdown of each subarea either by Statement-based tracking (statement links) or Attainment-based tracking (age band refinements). The detailed summary page has now been optimised for better printing using File Print, command + p or control + p.
Child Development App
- You can access the Child Development App in the Apps section of your nursery account. You will automatically land on the Overview page
- Depending on your role, you will see either a list of your observations, assessments and 2-year checks that are up for review, or a list of observations , assessments and 2-year checks that are waiting review. As a manager you can review observations, request changes and send them to parents
- When viewing all observations you can filter by type, observation status, key author and key person.
- When reviewing an observation you can change the author (take ownership). You may want to do this if an observation is started by a staff member but should be completed by a key worker.
You can also view next steps from the Child Development App. Here you can find a list of the different Next Steps entered on Assessments and Observations. You can filter the next steps by child, key person, room and made after date and use these for activity planning.
The default view of the progress report is by Statement-based tracking, this is a summary of each child's development based on the statements checked off in observations.
- Chose your as of date which will show all observations posted up to the specified date.
- When in this view you can click into each subarea box to see a detailed breakdown. Here you will be able to see the subarea title, the links that have been checked, the age band they were checked in and the date they were checked.
- The Age Band that is shown is the youngest incomplete Age Band, or youngest complete (100%) if they have not started on another older age band.
- Areas that the children are 2 or more age bands ahead of expected progress will be shaded in blue, those that are 2 or more age bands behind will be shaded in red.
- Alternatively you can view progress in regards to an Refinement-based tracking - this takes only Age band refinement records (normally done in assessments) into account and reports on the Emerging (grey), Developing (light green) and Secured (dark green) areas of development.
- You can view statement-based tracking as of a certain date, compare between certain dates, or progress since the initial baseline. This is considered to be the first assessment or observation recorded in which you chose emerging, developing or secured for any age band. Points are given in accordance with the level of progress made.
- You can filter both reports by Gender, Cohorts (Tags) or Key Workers
- The progress report page has now been optimised for better printing using File Print, Command + p or Control + p
You can now compare cohorts in famly.
- Simply decide whether you want to compare cohorts based on statement-based tracking (links checked off in observations) or refinement-based tracking (emerging, developing secure normally chosen in assessments).
- Next decide the progress of or compare to date.
- On the right you can add cohorts to compare and see the proportion of children that are behind, on track, ahead or are in need of observations.
- In the top left of the graph you can chose to see those that are behind, on track or ahead. In the top right of the graph you can select if you want to see all areas of learning or only the primary areas.
- For statement-based tracking, the graph will show the percentage of children relative to the settings you've chose.
- For refinement-based tracking the graph will show average progress points by cohort (movement between merging, developing and secure).
Printing and Exporting
We've optimised the printing of a child's Learning Journey so that it can be shared easily. We've added a date range, as journey's that are too long cannot be saved or printed in one go. Chose your settings and hit print. If you would like to send the Learning Journey virtually you can save it as a PDF.
Parents and Observations
It is possible for parents to add observations to the Learning Journey. These will need to be reviewed by management before they are posted. Nursery staff will see the observation in the Child Development app and can add EYO links, request changes, take ownership. See the article for parents here.